So there's a funny thing about Amway, owned by well known conservatives and Republican supporters, the DeVos and Van Andel families. Heck, Dick DeVos even ran as the Republic candidate for Governor in Michigan. Did you know -
- Amway's first product, LOC (Liquid Organic Cleaner), launched almost 50 years ago, was one of the first biodegradeable all purpose cleaners on the market
- Amway's second product, SA8 washing powder, was one of the first to remove phosphates which are extremely damaging to the environment, and one of the first to use biodegradeable surfacants.
- Nearly a third of Amway's headquarters, in Ada, Michigan has been certified as a Wildlife Habitat
- Many of Amway's products are extremely concentrated, which saves on packaging and waste as well as meaning less transport costs as they require to be shipped less often
- In 1989 the North American office of the United Nations Environment Program gave Amway an award for it's efforts promoting protection of the environment
- Amway removed CFCs from their products shortly after it become clear they were damaging the ozone - and long before governments legally mandated.
- In many Amway affiliates around the world, packing material is 100% biodegradeable - you can even eat it!
- Amway recycles as much as 95% of the recyclable waste at their Michigan headquarters
- in 1989 Amway sponsored ICEWALK, an international expedition to the North Pole designed to focus the world's attention on enviroment degredation
- Amway China has funded and actively taken part in the Environmental Protection on Mount Everest---the Third Earth Pole Initiative
- In 1997 the Rainforest Alliance awarded Amway The Green World Award
- In 1992, the Michigan Recycling Coalition named Amway "Recycler of the Year"
- Amway was the 1991 recipient of the Conservation Achievement Award for Corporate Leadership from the National Wildlife Federation
Amway was a corporate leader in environmental issues decades before it become fashionable and certainly long before it become profitable.
If you support the environment, you could certainly do a lot worse than support Amway. This liberal is proud to.